Monday, January 11, 2010

Do You Love Him?

Love, love, love. Such a STRONG word, yet it's used so freely. When I worked as a cashier, I would show my holiday spirit by giving the customers discounts on their items (legally, of course). In return, the customers would say, "thank you" or display great joy through smiles. Others, however, would say to me, "I love you". Clearly, I was aware these people were just a little bit too happy and used those "three words" to express their joy and gratitude. Has the word "love" been diluted to just a mere expression of one's feelings of delight after he or she has benefitted from another?

"Love" is too precious of a word to be used so lightly. "Love" is the quintessence of our existence. Without love, there is no you, no me. We do not exist. We are nothing. Check out this piece I wrote about an unsurpassable love:

INDISPENSABLE LOVE

By: Brina

Indispensible love

Real love

Sincere love

A love that satisfies my needs, wants, and desires – A fulfilling love

I searched for it

I searched the academic realm hoping to find love amongst the world’s top scholars

I even searched the basketball courts hoping to find love amongst the best ballers.

I searched my hood hoping to find love amongst the toughest thugs.

I search for love in my friendships and in the men I dated…I just want to be comforted

Still my love couldn’t be found

Indispensable love

I need you

Can’t live without you

Got’sta have you

A Love that sticks tighter to me than my baby phat jeans

Love as beautiful as a rose, stemming from a pure heart

Love as royal as a king, I honor you for eternity

A love as patient as a kindergarten teacher, he tolerates all my foolishness

A love as unselfish as a mothers’, He died for me

A love as protective and hopeful as a father’s, I am safe in his arms

Indispensable love

I need you

Can’t live without you

Got’sta have you

Diligently, I seek and prayed for my love to reveal Himself to me and like magic, He appeared in thin air

How perfect He is

All my fear is driven out by His love and I’m able to give Him the key to my heart.

Unlock me

Come into my heart and take my love to higher heights

Like two turtledoves, nothing can separate me from my love

Like treasure stored up in a secret place, He preserves and values me

“I was there the whole time, Sabrina,” He says to me

Indispensible love

I need you

Can’t live without you

Got’sta have you

As great of a lover he was to me, I took him for granted

“This is too good to be true,” I told myself

I became distracted, like a flood sin overtook me.

Like Hosea’s adulterous wife, I cheated on Him

I became impregnated with the worries of the world and looked elsewhere for fulfillment

Searching in familiar places faces...love, better yet, fulfillment couldn’t be found.

I became trapped in a vicious circle spiraling downward until I hit rock bottom

I was a mess

Beaten and shattered by my lovers, better yet, my fulfillers, my heart was cut and filled with indignation

I ran back to my first love and there he stood, like the father of the prodigal son, with arms wide-open waiting for me.

Like a book, He read my heart and forgave me

Indispensible love

I need you

Can’t live without you

Got’sta have you

There is no love greater than His.

I love him because he loved me first

He is Love

Christ- the love of my life



True love is not based on self-satisfaction. When you love someone, you can lose yourself. But when you love "the One", you gain life, eternally. There are many who claim to love Him and therefore, declare salvation. Well, if you love Him, how much time are you spending with Him?

1 comment:

  1. Just beautiful, I love the diction you used, and the way you put the hood feeling in there.. baby phat jeans, really cute. I love the way you compared yourself and your love with people in the Bible,.. good job, wonderful job!!!

    ReplyDelete